Goombay Summer Festival Is Back
NASSAU, Bahamas, 30 June 2022 – The Ministry of Tourism, Investments & Aviation is excited to announce the return of Goombay Summer Festival across The Islands of The Bahamas. This summer cultural extravaganza will showcase the true essence of being a Bahamian, with Bahamian music, delicious local cuisine, drinks, traditional Goombay dancers, live Bahamian performances and much more.
Between 2020 – 2021, Goombay Festival became a virtual experience due to the global pandemic. But starting 1st July through 27th August, the much-anticipated festival will return, live, to its down home roots, across all the major islands of The Bahamas. For one day only, locals and visitors alike can enjoy this authentically Bahamian festival across the following islands: Exuma, Andros, Bimini, Berry Islands, Long Island, Harbour Island and Eleuthera. Abaco and Grand Bahama, on the other hand, will host multiple days of Goombay Summer Festival celebrations. There is no Goombay Summer Festival in New Providence (Nassau).
Kicking off the festivities is beautiful Abaco at Cultural Park, Dundas Town on 1st July. Festivalgoers can experience exciting music performances by Veronica Bishop, Bodine Victoria, Mettelus Chipman "The Obeah Man", New Entry Band, Clint & Brown Tip Rake & Scrape, Junkanoo rush-out. Game and activity lovers can partake in ring play, Abaco trivia, a limbo competition, and Kiddies Corner. Foodies can savour tasty Abaconian food and drinks.
Just a stone’s throw away in Freeport, the second largest city of The Bahamas, residents and visitors will celebrate Goombay Summer Festival every Thursday in July, from 6p.m. - 12 midnight at Taino Beach. Festivalgoers have a chance to dive into Bahamian culture at its finest with conch cracking demonstrations, coconut barking demonstrations, People-to-People bush tea tasting, Junkanoo dancers and Junkanoo rush out. Entertainment headliners D Mac, KB and Ancient Man will bring to the stage a lively Bahamian blend of music for spectators to enjoy. Patrons can also expect an outstanding performance from The Royal Bahamas Police Force Pop Band and much more!
What to expect in the other islands:
- Exuma – entertainment by - Lady E, Dyson Knight & Wendi, Exuma Rake ‘n’ Scrape Band, and activities such as tug of war, egg & spoon and sack races, coconut barking contest, watermelon and pineapple eating competitions.
- Eleuthera - entertainment by - Live Entertainment: Jay's Production (Sky Juice Band) Blaudy, Bennett & The Boys, Francois, Activities include Goombay pole plaiting, crab catching contest, sack race, watermelon eating contest, mango eating contest, bread baking - outside oven, fire dancing, marble shooting, hopscotch, kiddie corner, egg & spoon race, fishing from the rocks tournament, ring play
- South Andros & Mangrove Cay - entertainment by - Rhythm in Motion Studio – steel drums, limbo, and fire dancing, The Spice Band, Elon Moxey and Ms. Jeranique Forbes. Activities include heritage games, crab catching contest, coconut barking contest, cane peeling contest, conch cracking & skinning contest, tourism trivia and musical chairs. The Tourism tent will feature a variety of bush teas and down home earth bread sampling.
- Bimini – entertainment by - Stevie S & C'nyq, Junkanoo performance by Tum Tum Dynasty, limbo and fire dance by Robyn Major. Activities include trivia, skipping rope, musical chairs, pineapple and watermelon eating contests.
- Berry Islands – entertainment by - Funky D backed by the White Wave Band, Dr. Melony Thompson: Ancestral Generation Conversation, MC Mathenice Butler, Goombay dancers, plaiting the maypole, fire dancer, limbo Dancer, Bahamian Gospel, High School Students performances and a Junkanoo Group rush out.
- Harbour Island – entertainment by – Renaldo Grant, Fanshawn Evans, Larvado Sands (Shine), fire dancer Zerline Lockhart, Goombay dancers – Ms. Gaylean’s Girls. Activities include giant Jenga, checkers, watermelon and pineapple eating contest, catch the crab contest, egg & spoon and sack races.
- Long Island – entertainment by – Blaudy, Fanshawn, The Originals Rake ’n’ Scrape Band.
Activities include obstacle course, egg & spoon race, blindfolded corn shucking, crab catching, trivia, scavenger hunt, 3-point shoot contest. Come and enjoy a fun-filled, authentic Bahamian style experience with family and friends all summer long.
For more information and save the dates, visit https://www.bahamas.com/bahamas-goombay-summer.