Grand Bahama Island Tourism Board
The Organization was born as the Grand Bahama Tourism and Convention Board in 1965, and was renamed Grand Bahama Island Promotion Board in 1984. The name “Grand Bahama Island Tourism Board” evolved from a marriage of the Grand Bahama Promotion Board and the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism’s Freeport Office in 1994. After the dissolution of that partnership in November 2002, the Promotion Board was re-incorporated as the Tourism Board.
The Grand Bahama Island Tourism Board assists the “government” in the promotion of Grand Bahama Island as a tourist destination and represents the “private sector” in marketing its respective properties which have partnership with the Board and are members. This is done through marketing campaigns, which include generic television and radio commercials, collateral, and advertisements in publications (magazines, newspapers, etc.) and onshore promotions, such as familiarization trips.
The affairs of the Board are managed by a Board of Directors, comprising a Chairman and Directors, who meet on a monthly basis. The Directors are appointed from the Operator (Hotel), Associate and Allied membership. The day-to-day operations are overseen by an Executive Vice President.
Grand Bahama Island Tourism Board Membership
The Board offers four classes of membership:
Operator Membership, consisting of the operators of licensed hotels on Grand Bahama Island. Our membership encompasses quaint bonefish lodges, eco-friendly villas, family-friendly hotels, sea-side suites, yacht clubs/marina hotels and modern luxury resorts.
Associate Membership, available to organizations or companies concerned with Tourism, such as restaurants, nightclubs, attractions, dive operators, water sports companies, tour operators, ground handlers and wedding coordinators. Some of our “Corporate” members include Adanac Investments, the Bazaar Owners Association, Freeport Harbour Company, the Grand Bahama Airport Company and Island Magazine. (See “Services” for information on Membership Requirements and listing of members).
Allied Membership, which is open to persons interested in tourism and purveyors of merchandise and services related to the economy and businesses of Grand Bahama Island. This group includes a travel agency, a newspaper, a church, real estate companies, a destination management company and a training consultant. (See “Services” for information on Membership Requirements and listing of members).
Honorary Membership, which may be given at the discretion of the Board to persons who have made outstanding contributions to the development of tourism, either nationally or internationally. This new category will soon be populated.
Membership certificates are issued annually to each Associate and Allied member in good standing.
Services for Members
- Internet listing on and linkage to relevant Grand Bahama Island Tourism Board/Ministry of Tourism’s website pages.
- Listing in Grand Bahama Island generic collateral.
- Collateral distribution through the Ministry of Tourism’s Information Centres located at the International Bazaar, Port Lucaya Marketplace, International Airport (Customs Hall), and Lucayan Harbour (by request).
- Collateral distribution through the Ministry of Tourism’s Information Centres across the United States, Canada and Europe. (We will supply the address to which material should be shipped.)
- Exposure to travel trade during offshore/onshore activities, such as seminars, sales calls and familiarization trips.
- Periodic advertising and editorial opportunities in international publications.
- Mass mailing opportunities from our database.
- Marketing intelligence on Grand Bahama Island, including statistics.
- Complimentary product evaluation and consultation.
- Use of your facilities/product for Tourism Board functions, at an established rate.
- Use of our Conference Room facilities.
- Use of our mailing facilities.
For more information contact:
Grand Bahama Island Tourism Board
P.O. Box F-40650
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, The Bahamas
Tel: 242-352-8356 / Fax: 242-352-7840