To ensure that visitors to The Bahamas be afforded the opportunities to enjoy the wide variety of Bahamian produce and cuisine.
To increase the use of Bahamian produce in the preparation of dishes in all hotels and restaurants in The Bahamas and render service to food establishments in ongoing efforts to upgrade properties in terms of sanitation, service, product offering, presentation and pricing.
- To organize and stage the best ever annual Culinary Classic while at the same time offering maximum exposure to visitors and residents alike.
- To assist, where possible and when called upon, other departments and Units within the Ministry of Tourism and the Bahamas government in the execution of their special events.
- To create, among visitors and Bahamians, a deep appreciation for the ?real taste? of The Bahamas in the numerous dishes that can be made with Bahamian produce and seafood.
- To continue the liason with the Bahamas Culinary Association and assist them in the realization of their goals.
- To encourage overall improvements and recognition in members in the Bahamas Culinary Association being seen as professionals and worthy of great respect.
- To assist in the recognition of The Bahamas as a full member in international culinary organizations and not as part of a region.
- To assist in national culinary team practices and fundraising events so That they could participate in the 2004 Culinary Olympics in Germany in October, 2004.
- To develop and implement a training programme for restaurants.
- To pay close attention to local restaurants and encourage them to upgrade and properly maintain their properties.
- To maintain a directory of food establishments in New Providence.
- To stage the annual Culinary Classic in September.
- To catalogue food establishments in selected Family Islands.
- To maintain close liaison with the Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, The Department of Environmental Health Services and relevant Government agencies so that we could work together on projects of mutual interest.
- To identify persons in the general community and hotel properties who could serve as trainers in service in restaurants.
- To develop tools of measurement whereby restaurants could monitor and upgrade themselves.
- In conjunction with owners or managers of properties, to offer support the promotion and marketing of their enterprise.
- In conjunction with related bodies, to organize regular inspections of properties, and, thereafter, discuss improvement steps.
- To develop and implement a schedule for survey data collection, and , as far as possible, generate reports on customer reception and the quality of service and cuisine at the various properties.
- To sell a 'We will give the best we can' service to restaurant patrons.
Mrs. DeAnne E. Gibson
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism
British American Building, Pirate's Square
P.O. Box N-3701 Nassau, Bahamas
Tel: (242) 397-2782/4